Saturday, January 21, 2012

mistakes

mis·take  [mi-steyk]  ~noun
 
#1. an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by

   § poor reasoning
   § carelessness
   § insufficient knowledge
   § etc.

#2. misunderstanding or misconception.

(I don't really buy the #2... If it is a misunderstanding or a misconception, then it is not a mistake! It is what it says it is;  a misunderstanding or a misconception !)

So, according to the literal meaning that #1 offers, you have 3 reasons to make a mistake, and one "etc." to include ALL the other reasons. Poor reasoning, carelessness, and insufficient knowledge justify making a mistake. A mistake. Once

So why are we repeating our mistakes? 
the "etc." reason justifies this, cause "etc." may include being spoiled, and narrow-minded in a way that it makes us look cute, free-spirited (???) and unique to ourselves...

Another reason is boredom
Boredom to think things through. 
Shame, cause one boredom to think mistake influences your character, your personality, and your life then on... 


Milan Kundera's "The Joke" is about a joke, becoming a mistake, and ruining one's life. 

Kundera never makes excuses for anything, let alone for a mistake. I will use his words for "shame", as if it was for "mistake" because of the correlation I find in the two:

"The basis of shame is not some personal mistake of ours, but the ignominy, the humiliation we feel that we must be what we are without any choice in the matter, and that this humiliation is seen by everyone.

and to this I want to replace "by everyone" with "by ourselves" cause this is even worse. 


in a song :


Eleanor's mistake is not the mistake itself rather than her approach to her mistake. 
In her own clear flat voice:
"I thought I'd learned from my mistakes,
I thought he'd learned from my mistakes,
I thought you'd give me the right advice"

Not only some make mistakes in order to make themselves get an experience or learn a lesson, but also for other to learn from it. 
Is communication so bad nowadays that we reach to the point where a mistake makes a better point about ourselves that ourself? 

in another song :

I love Miss Apple more than Eleanor and her 
"I'm gonna fuck it up again
I'm gonna do another detour
Unpave my path
And if you wanna make sense
Whatcha looking at me for
I'm no good at math
makes me want to like making mistakes...

Still... as alluring as this is, I still don't like mistakes
I think I make may mistakes on account to my boredom to be right at some point and vanity reasons at others. I don't want to be less-right, or vain at any point so I reject mistakes. All sorts of
Ok, apart from one :
:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your posts are so brilliant, you're amazing. xo

Post a Comment